Transcendental meditation is one of the most popular forms of meditation in the world. It was popularised by its founder, Maharishi, outside India and became popular in the western world. It has evolved to include different variations which are dependent on the trainer. The core aspect of this type of meditation is that it involves silent mantras that are rehearsed during meditation. It spread like wildfire in the western world; it is tough to find a yoga gym that does not offer training in this type of meditation. It means that the community available for this form of yoga is enormous; therefore, any person practicing this form of meditation can quickly get help in case of any technicalities or one does not understand some of the concepts.
Research has been done on the effect of transcendental meditation on our bodies and has shown that it has tremendous benefits to our health. Some of the health benefits associated with this type of meditation are as follows:
- Reduces cortisol
- Quality sleep
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Improves brain functions and memory
- Lowers blood pressure
A simple transcendental meditation technique is as follows:
- Find A Comfortable Place – This is very important in transcendental meditation. The place where you do meditation should be noise free and should have no interruptions. It should also be well aerated.
- The Next Step Is To Sit Comfortably – You should be able to sit comfortably and ensure that you are in the right type of clothes.
- Close your eyes and repeat your mantra. Continue repeating the mantra until your mind is able to focus on it.
- Focus on the mantra as you go deeper and deeper into the meditation state. You will notice that your body is relaxing and you become calmer.
With the above steps as a starting point, one can then proceed to learn more about transcendental meditation. One should be willing to dedicate their time in learning the skill for its benefits. One can also become a tutor after mastery of this skill, therefore, turning it into a career.